We are pleased to announce the full details of this year’s Summer Retreat!
NE GWiSE Summer Retreat 2018
Navigating Power Dynamics & Building Confident Mentalities
Who: All students, staff, and faculty from our partner schools, including Boston University, Brandeis, Brown, Dartmouth, Harvard, MIT, Northeastern, and Tufts
What: This will be a day long event featuring Keynote Speaker Professor Sara Seager of MIT, and workshops exploring ways of navigating the power dynamics involved with being a graduate student in academia. Light breakfast, lunch, and snacks will be provided throughout the day. The retreat will include Trivia at the end of the day!
When: Friday, August 17th, 2018 from 9:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M (arrive early for registration).
Where: MIT, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Directions.
Why: Graduate students often find themselves in unique situations within the academic power hierarchy, trading roles as both mentees and mentors. These structures and power dynamics can have a profound impact on graduate students’ mental health and ultimately their career trajectories.
At the 2018 NE GWiSE Retreat, we will explore ways for graduate students to navigate power dynamics and build confident mentalities.
Please spread the word and register here.
▪ 8:30-9:30 Registration & Breakfast
▪ 9:30-10:30 Welcome & Keynote Prof. Sara Seager
▪ 10:30-11:30 NE GWiSE & School Updates
▪ 11:30-12:15 Workshop 1: Engagement with Superiors
▪ 12:15-1:30 Networking Lunch
▪ 1:30-2:15 Workshop 2: Engagement with Trainees
▪ 2:15-3:00 Workshop 3: Fostering Healthy Mentalities
▪ 3:00-4:30 Social/Trivia
▪ 4:30-4:45 Concluding Remarks
▪ 5pm ~After Party~ location TBA!